Rise and shine and breakfast at the hotel. We met around 8:30 to walk to the Promised Land Church where our camp day would begin! It was probably about a mile or so walk from the hotel. Fine by me. Let's keep logging those steps, folks! It was so exciting to see the same sweet faces from last year and I was eagerly waiting for the rest of the group to meet these children they would grow to love in just a few short days. We arrived at Promised Land just in time to welcome those sweeeeet babies...and some who are not babies anymore. It's crazy to see just how much they have grown since last summer. Soon it was time for our first classes to begin. I got to do music this year because after a series of unfortunate events and losing a few teammates we were in desperate need of a music leader. This has had me stressed for a couple weeks now because I had felt so inadequate in sharing information with these kids while making it fun. You see, singing I can do. I can be fine and lead fun songs all day long. But at this camp it's not your typical Bible camp experience. They want these to kids to learn very educational things. What would I share with them?
I prayed and prayed that God would help me share some knowledge that would mean something to these kids and that it would not be worthless. He certainly put some things in my brain and I woke up this morning thinking and scheming! Today we learned about genre and all the different types of musical genres. They are so smart. We talked about the importance of music to convey emotions, communicate with others and just make us feel good. They were pretty good at identifying the different types of music while listening and even pointing out some of the instruments they could hear and then we talked about making our own music out of the things around us. We made drinking straw flutes and they had a big time with that. I think Bussy and Taylor appreciated the straws once they made it around to their stations ;) each class is so different so you are constantly on your toes changing directions or you will lose control of your day. One group finished early so we freestyled and did the cha cha slide. Another wanted to listen to music at the end of theirs. Of course I've become an old lady and don't know what kids are listening to these days...hahaha. Every song they suggested I was afraid would have explicit content...I found myself looking to the interns of Beekman for assistance in this department...
Soon it was lunch time and we along with the kids were served a spicy spaghetti dish (oops) but it was pretty good. When Nicholson and jake came in from their morning of sports you could just see the joy all over their faces. They are such good young men. It was so sweet to see their excitement about the kids they had already met. I just know this week holds some pretty great things for these boys. I hope they understand how big of an impact they have already made in one day by giving their time and attention to these kids. Jake even found himself a huge baseball fan and threw the ball around some. This is a very special kid who needs a lot of love and attention and jake has already given him just that. I never heard one complaint from them and they are outside in the heat alllll day.
Mary Helen and Courtney had some pretty great moments teaching the kids about good deeds and Malory and Lauren loved every minute of sharing their love for reading with these kids. I saw some pictures on Facebook from Nicole and Mary's bible costumes and I think they're doing some pretty cute things. Taylor and Bussy had a run in with some paint this morning but like all good improvers...they quickly decided markers are where it's at....
Shaundra prepped for her writing lesson all night last night. She could hardly sleep she was so excited. They made the coolest aliens out of their cursive names. Her enthusiasm and drive are inspiring and I'm hoping very contagious since she's sleeping in the next bed over!
After the first day was under our belt we decided to trek to Target. (The greatest place on earth, or so I thought) Never believe a local when they say you can walk somewhere. It took us more than thirty minutes and it was pretty hot. Our feet were killing us and all for some poster boards and sharpies.
Nicholson And Mary Helen were dying to join the jawbone up band challenge and I'm afraid tomorrow it is game on. They bought jawbones and have set their accounts up. I can tell they are itching to start logging steps! In two days I have logged 21 miles. All I got to say is less of me better be going home than came with me.
Once we all finally made it back from our Target adventure, we headed out for dinner off the Hudson River in the West end area to a restaurant called Pier I. It was a patio out overlooking the Hudson River with super cute lighted umbrellas and the BEST homemade fresh squeezed blueberry lemonade. I had a lobster roll for the first time. It was definitely pretty yum. We made it back to hotel before 11 and I logged my steps took a quick shower, and sat down to finish this blog...it's day one: we need your prayers. The kids need your prayers, this COMMUNITY needs your prayers.
Blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment