They moved the outdoor activities indoor an tried to fashion and semi cool situation in the Cristi Te Amo location. At one point I saw the thermostat register 93 degrees, INDOORS. And through all these obstacles, our team has managed to stay motivated with one goal in mind: showing god's love to God's children.
We began the morning like we have every other. Breakfast at 9, children beginning to arrive at 9:30 and then classes starting at 10:30 after morning prayer and praise & worship. The worship leader, who also happens to be known as Principal Ben has been awesome!
Today in crafts we made hats and they had an absolute blast! I love seeing them get excited about them and wear them all day. They were a welcome treat to deal with the heat wave. The service class planted seeds to take home and nurture to grow. They certainly had a big time doing that. All of the other groups reported last of patience testing moments but the bright spots are worth all that is endured.
After camp we hopped on the subway to grand central to have dinner at the "food court". We all got to have whatever we wanted and we realized this was a very good option for a group. After dinner we even did the magic trick where you get in two opposite corners and have a conversation. It's weird how you're voice will travel. That was fun! Lawana and I got the tickets for the train ride tomorrow. We are all looking forward to that so much. It will be nice to clear our minds.
I was reading this scripture earlier:
"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8
I was thinking about all the tears, heartaches and hardships these children deal with on a daily basis. One precious little girl lives with her family in a shelter. Another little girl has very bad, untreated eczema so she has sores and scars on her arms. Another little boy lives with a single father who loves him very much but seems to have some serious struggles. It's comforting to know that when they live in a world that society doesn't place any importance on, they belong to a God that knows every tear they've cried. That's powerful stuff.
I was also thinking about the irony of the fact that I've struggled with so much this week including impatience, frustration, and near insanity, but that I've not felt this much pure joy in a long time. The kind you have when you wake up in the morning feeling like you've been hit by a train but you can't wait to get going and get to camp because you look forward to the smiles and hugs of the children. Or when you go to bed at night remembering how gifted a particular student was or how you overheard them helping each other or correcting each other. They are building community that will change the face of this neighborhood. How can I have so much physical pain and mental strains and experience bliss? The juxtaposition of the two is unlikely but really the blood sweet and tears (yes I tripped at Central Park. My family reading this will not be surprised) make the joyful moments that much more grandiose. Serving a powerful God is inspiring and everyday that I spend trying to honor Him and His kingdom is another day of pure joy.
This little doll has stolen my heart.

Check out this side smile! What a darling?!
Hear my prayer, O God, that I might continue in your will to love even the least of these, for in this I find true joy. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment